Job Location: Seattle, WA
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Python, C++, C#, Java, Golang
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 3+ years of DevOps or SysOps experience in a large-scale software development environment
- 1+ year of experience contributing to automation for new and current systems
AWS Training and Certification Organization plans to bring its training programs to 29 million people by 2025. To achieve this goal, we are working to scale our operational tools to help our Business Development Managers (BDMs), Training Operations specialists, AWS Partners schedule and deliver training to large enterprises and individuals like you. Our applications support internal users around the globe and we have plans to expand to external users later. The products we are building have high visibility, make a direct impact on customer experience.
We’re looking for a Systems Development Engineer to own automation, scaling, and solving operations with software across our platforms. This will include identifying and resolving issues, automating and improving repetitive processes, and working closely with the development team to identify operational needs. You will become intimately familiar with the architecture of our systems, and be responsible for diving deep into code, while developing solutions for our customers and services. You’ll drive prioritization of operational issues, and drive automation design & scaling requirements in support of the wider organization.
We are building solutions with increasing needs to scale, and in parallel with explosive growth within AWS. If this sounds like the right challenge for you then please apply today!
This position is open for multiple locations: Portland, Seattle and Arlington (HQ2)
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
A day in the life
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
About the team
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Experience specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools
- Experience monitoring the health of software services, automating system health, maintenance tasks, and reporting systems as needed
- Experience designing and/or implementing automated software testing, deployment and performance analysis systems.
- Experience conducting failure mode analysis in complex distributed systems.
- Experience reviewing and refining design and architecture documents presented by partner teams for operational readiness, fault tolerance and scalability.
- Ability to adapt and improve operations management systems and processes to accommodate rapid and increasing growth in systems and traffic.
- Experience developing or furthering existing application and system management tools and processes that reduce manual efforts and increase overall efficiency.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.