Job Location: Sunnyvale, CA
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience in network and/or Linux system administration, web or software development, and troubleshooting.
- Experience scripting, writing, and modifying code to improve monitoring and automation (e.g., Perl, Python, Shell, etc.).
- Experience in configuration management and automation efforts with technical troubleshooting and performance tuning experience.
- Experience in root-causing problems in networking, storage, operating systems, etc.
- Experience with virtualization and cloud hosting.
- Knowledge of operating system internals, L2/L3/L4 networking, and storage appliance internals.
- Understanding of cloud technologies and the enterprise compute environment.
About the job
As a Systems Development Engineer at Google, you’ll own and support the needs of Google’s internal systems and related infrastructure. You’re highly technical and will work directly with other systems and service owners to ensure reliability and sustainability of the Google service infrastructure as well as compliance with internal policies. Success in this role means you’ll be able to support systems in a mixed operating system environment and will work efficiently with our internal technology providers as well as other operations groups. Googlers will rely on your guidance when it comes to design decisions so you’ll have a direct impact in keeping the business productive.
Google Distributed Cloud, Hosted is a solution for customers who want the benefits of Google Cloud on-premises. In this role, you will assist in launching and supporting deployed Google Distributed Cloud, Hosted (GDCH) implementations.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google’s product portfolio possible. We’re proud to be our engineers’ engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Understand all aspects of the service, and the features and workloads that it supports. Internalize issues (e.g., scalability, quality, etc.) and come up with a plan to address them.
- Develop order portal, tooling for automation, and SLA dashboards as well as support scenarios and solutions. Help L2 and L3 troubleshooting.
- Troubleshoot system and application issues, including containerized microservices and virtual machine (VM) workloads.
- Collaborate with product managers, program managers, support, and external vendors to streamline support and ensure that the team is focused on priority items.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form.