Job Location: Remote
Hi, we’re Gravie. Our mission is to improve the way people purchase and access healthcare through innovative, consumer-centric health benefit solutions that people can actually use. Our industry-changing products and services are developed and delivered by a diverse group of unique people. We encourage you to be your authentic self – we like you that way.
We’re looking for a Head of Data Science who will be central to Gravie’s efforts to reinvent health insurance. This newly created position will be responsible for building and leading a function that develops and applies advanced analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence across Gravie’s business. You will drive data science innovations that are key to designing, creating, and managing Gravie’s member-centric and technology-driven health benefits that improve the way people purchase and access healthcare.
- Build a company-wide data science function, with initial emphasis on driving value in underwriting (including pricing and risk assessment), product design and performance, and care navigation. You will incorporate methodologies from the realms of statistics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
- Draw upon your deep industry expertise, analytical acumen, and intense curiosity to investigate and synthesize diverse datasets – including demographics, actuarial and underwriting models and analyses, plan designs, claims, medical and clinical data, and more – to derive insights.
- Lead and build teams to manage and drive data science initiatives – and also roll up your sleeves and dig in as needed to design, build, and deliver analyses, models, and insights.
- Build both a culture and infrastructure of exploration, research, and development that can be translated into meaningful improvements to Gravie’s business and improvements to our customers.
- Blend traditional and novel approaches in your work, bringing insights on promising trends in data science and analytics across industries.
- Extend and enhance current lines of inquiry, and develop and lead new and more robust areas for research and development.
- Source and integrate new datasets that will improve insights.
- Collaborate with other teams, including, product strategy, engineering, underwriting, actuarial, finance, reporting, and leadership teams, to understand and identify business needs and deliver insights.
- Ask and answer the right questions, including: How are we doing? What should we continue doing? What should we stop doing? What should we start doing in the future?
- Communicate results to stakeholders across the business including senior leadership and recommend courses of action as well as avenues for further inquiry.
- Demonstrate commitment to our core competencies of being authentic, curious, creative, empathetic and outcome oriented.
- Outstanding analytical aptitude and problem solving skills
- An advanced degree (or equivalent certification) in mathematics, statistics, actuarial science or a related field
- Intense curiosity with a drive to get to the bottom of things
- A love of finding new and better ways of doing things
- Experience successfully leading and growing high-performing teams
- Technical fluency with relevant software and systems
- Excellent attention to detail
- Habits of excellent organization, time management and responsiveness
- A flexible attitude and ability to work independently with limited direction
- An appetite for learning and quickly putting what you learn into practice
- Previous start up company experience
Where permitted by applicable law, candidates must be fully vaccinated or be willing to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by date of hire to be considered for a job at Gravie.