Job Location: O’Fallon, MO
The Principal Database Engineer role has the ability to perform 70% architecture and 30% engineering functions where the individual partners with Executive Management to create the strategic direction for the Database Engineering Program. The Principal Database Engineer breathes the Mastercard Way. The role encompasses strategic engineering aspects of disruptive emerging technology for on premise and cloud solutions. The role collaborates with enterprise architects and is responsible evolution of emerging database services but also grounded in core MasterCard foundation database expertise.
- Strongly influences the Database Engineering overall strategy through collaboration with technical experts and management.
- Builds relationships internally and externally to contribute to the enterprise application programs strategic direction in providing abstract technical contributions in a global environment with strategic responsibility for the entire application portfolio.
- Proven record of accomplishment in delivering the strategy for positive business outcomes on behalf of the application portfolio.
- Ability to perform as a technical lead by aligning the application strategy to the database strategy through the creation of roadmaps in collaboration with application program leadership.
- Contributes to complex cross-functional Database Engineering strategic initiatives by providing direction and communicating a unified vision across Mastercard.
- Ability to lead a technology portfolio with a proven record of accomplishment for Database as a Service on-premise and cloud solutions by proactively planning, communicating, coordinating, and executing technical and architectural efforts with Executive Management that is agnostic to database technologies to improve the customer experience.
- Ability to take a macro and micro view of trending for scalability, capacity, performance for a technology portfolio by conducting database performance assessments in collaboration with application programs.
- Deep hands-on experience in proactively architecting secured on-premise and cloud solutions through standardization, automation, optimization, availability, scalability with an eye on end of life needs with the ability to strategize and identify architecture that will accelerate Database Engineering.
- Deep hands-on experience with the ability to lead the effort in understanding and implementing security related risk and compliance initiatives with the ability to guide Database Engineering in streamlining security functions.
- Deep hands-on experience with a proven record of accomplishment to lead efforts in optimizing support models for Database Engineering including optimization of security, backup/recovery, architecture, networking, and administration, and operational support with the ability to guide members of Database Engineering for running an optimized support model and providing thought leadership to Executive Management.
- Experts in understanding the application and infrastructure layers for architecting and engineering solutions in partnership with application, development, and infrastructure teams across Mastercard.
- Ability to develop and drive vendor management partnerships strategically for Mastercard with Executive Management.
- Ability to conduct and communicate database performance assessments for a technology portfolio with the internal database team and provide thought leadership in partnering with application programs and management for the execution of performance assessments.
- Responsible and accountable for managing and mitigating risk in a technology portfolio by proactively identifying technology risks and guiding the organization to address the risks.
- Strong leadership experience growing, mentoring, and motivating a team by instilling a technical process improvement culture in database engineering colleagues in a positive manner.
- Researches and implements modern technologies to enhance/grow existing database infrastructure and performs proof-of-concept research on behalf of Database Engineering.
- Create and deliver presentations for internal learning, training events, and/or business discussions with strategic partnership that is tailored to the audience.
- Drive intellectual property development and use for projects, team, and Database Engineering.
- Sharp shooters in identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving complex technical challenges or operational issues across Mastercard.
- Proficient in Postgres and will act as the SME for Postgres
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact [email protected] and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
- Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.