Job Location: Washington State
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT Capital Program Development & Management (CPDM) office is looking to hire an Asset Management & Transportation Data Analyst. This is a non-permanent position expected to last until 6/30/2023. This position will independently perform highly skilled technical data and policy analysis in support of the implementation of WSDOT’s Statewide Asset Management Program.
The Asset Management & Transportation Data Analyst will quickly and accurately analyze large amounts of written material and data, translating technical and policy information into well written, “Plain English” reports, proposals, briefing papers and/or policies. The Statewide Asset Management Program uses these products to support asset management planning activities, recommend changes to relevant programs and modes, and assist with scenario and performance impact analyses. This position works with the Statewide Transportation Asset Manager to ensure consistency with reporting and implementation of all major asset categories (Highways, Ferries, Multimodal, and Intra-agency).
The ideal candidate will work well in a fast-paced, multi-tasking and deadline-driven environment. The candidate will competently conduct statistical analysis of complex transportation data sets that may include all agency programs, all transportation systems and modes, engineering information and economic data using statistical and other quantitative data systems; consistently apply strict quality control standards for performance data; fluently translate technical and nontechnical information; and efficiently develop information and reports for various audiences.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Transportation Planning Specialist 3 will:
- Serve as senior expert and resource for asset management data analysis and reporting.
- Perform advanced statistical and data analysis.
- Develop performance measures for reporting the performance of assets.
- Assist the Statewide Transportation Asset Manager in documenting the current processes for managing existing transportation assets in each of the major asset categories.
- Serve as resource on teams related to asset management.
- Assist with the development and management of the federally required Transportation Asset Management Plan (TAMP).
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Bachelor’s degree involving major study in transportation, environmental or urban, regional or land use planning, engineering, public or business administration, economics or natural or physical sciences. Please note: A Master’s degree in one of the above fields will substitute for one year of the required experience.
- Three (3) years of professional transportation experience involving analysis and evaluation of transportation issues and finding creative solutions to complex transportation problems.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Expert at complex data analysis and report writing.
- Demonstrates knowledge of asset management principles.
- Demonstrates advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including spreadsheet, database, and graphic software as well as other computer applications required.
- Demonstrates ability to function effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment working under tight deadlines, follow instructions from supervisor and communicate clearly and professionally with diverse groups and individuals both verbally and in writing.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- This position is eligible for remote work up to 100%, per supervisor approval.
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- This is a non-permanent opportunity, expected to last until June 30, 2023.
- The official duty station for this position will be determined based on candidate preference and overall business needs.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application: An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the “APPLY” button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Amanda Strebeck, at [email protected] . Please be sure to reference Asset Management and Transportation Data Analyst in the subject line.