Job Location: Bangalore
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e- commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It’s all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
At Walmart Global Tech India, we use technology for the charter of building brand new platforms and services on the latest technology stack to support both our e-commerce and stores businesses worldwide.
This position is in the Global Responsibility pillar under the Enterprise Business Services organization. Enterprise areas of Walmart like Finance, Indirect Procurement, People Systems, Global Governance, Global Responsibility and others are in the midst of massive digital transformation.
Our team is building products for ESG & Sustainability from scratch, dealing with challenges from gathering user data, developing machine learning models to understand business processes better and making them more holistically data-driven and intelligent. Automated Forecasting, Anomaly Detection, ChatBots, Optimisation are some of the areas we are actively working on. We leverage machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), and big data technologies to get the scale and precision required for solving these problems related to the domain of ESG & Sustainability.
As a Senior Data Scientist for Walmart, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Drive data-derived insights across a wide range of divisions by developing advanced statistical models, machine learning algorithms and computational algorithms based on business initiatives
- Direct the gathering of data, assessing data validity and synthesizing data into large analytics datasets to support project goals
- Utilize big data analytics and advanced data science techniques to identify trends, patterns, and discrepancies in data. Determine additional data needed to support insights
- Build and train statistical models and machine learning algorithms
- Apply your semantic, natural language processing and understanding expertise where required
- Productionize the models and make those available at scale
- Build and maintain end to end Machine Learning pipelines
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty and the eagerness to change the world in a huge way by being a self-motivated learner and builder
- Communicate recommendations to business partners and influencing future plans based on insights
- Play a key role to solve complex problems, pivotal to Walmart’s business and drive actionable insights from petabytes of data
- Utilize product mindset to build, scale and deploy holistic data science products after successful prototyping
- Demonstrate incremental solution approach with agile and flexible ability to overcome practical problems
- Partner with senior team members to assess customer needs and define business questions
- Clearly articulate and present recommendations to business partners, and influence future plans based on insights
- Work with customer centric mindset to deliver high quality business driven analytic solution
- Drive innovation in approach, method, practices, process, outcome, delivery, or any component of end-to-end problem solving
- Demonstrates up-to-date expertise and applies this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field and 8 years’ experience in an analytics/DS related field, or,
Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field and 6 years’ experience in an analytics/DS related field.
- High proficiency in data mining, modeling, validation and insight generation.
- Excellent working knowledge of statistics, mathematics, machine learning, data mining, deep learning
- High proficiency in coding including Python and SQL
- Experience with databases (for example, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server)
- Experience with Big Data technologies such as Pig, Hive and/or Spark
- Ability to work with large data sets. Has sound understanding of big data technology stack
- Understanding of cloud computing platforms and large-scale databases
- Proven ability to collaborate and work in teams
- Excellent with communications and stakeholder engagement
- Data science publications in recognized platforms/journals
- Proven ability to work in agile mode on data science sprint projects