Before u proceed below to check the jobs/CVs, please select your favorite job categories, whose top job alerts you want in your email & Subscribe to our Email Job Alert Service For FREE
Job Location: Laurel, MD
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
As an Information Extraction Data Scientist, you will…
- Contribute to novel machine learning research, improving our ability to understand, represent, and reason about knowledge in text.
- Communicate approaches, results, and impact to management, government sponsors, and the broader scientific community through papers, presentations, and technical reports.
- Lead and collaborate on technical proposals to grow and define machine learning capabilities including but not limited to NLP, information extraction, and knowledge representation.
- Develop software to implement data science approaches.
- Cultivate a long-term technical and research vision, collaborating with other researchers and experts to address challenges determined by sponsor requirements.
- Design creative AI/ML algorithms as well as develop analytic pipelines for analyzing large-scale, complex data.
- Develop data architectures and pipelines to support analytic algorithms.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to design, prototype, and develop ways to make ML models fast, performant, robust, and reliable under various data constraints, such as having limited labeled data or shifted domains.
- Provide insight into the benefits and risks of proposed solutions to sponsor challenges, understanding and communicating not only how a problem could be solved, but how it can best be solved with given time, domain, or technical constraints.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have…
- A M.S. in a subject area related to artificial intelligence, machine learning, or data science (e.g., Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or Engineering).
- Demonstrated ability to conduct machine learning research and develop production-ready software
- Proven ability in defining machine learning problems, particularly in NLP and knowledge representation, and identifying possible solutions given real-world constraints.
- Proficiency with programming languages used in AI research (e.g., Python), and familiarity with machine learning libraries (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow) and NLP libraries (e.g., spaCy, HuggingFace).
- Proficiency with software development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to articulate complex technical issues to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have…
- A Doctorate degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or relevent area.
- Experience proposing new ideas for research and development to stakeholders and potential sponsors.
- Experience writing technical proposals or other forms of business development.
- Experience with applications for national security or the intelligence community.
- A track record of publishing research in scholarly journals or conferences (e.g., ACL, NAACL, EMNLP, NeurIPS, AAAI).
- Experience with information extraction problems, including coreference resolution, named entity recognition, relation extraction, entity linking, event extraction.
- Experience with other programming languages (e.g., Java).
- Experience with software engineering processes, techniques, and tools.
- An active security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.