Before u proceed below to check the jobs/CVs, please select your favorite job categories, whose top job alerts you want in your email & Subscribe to our Email Job Alert Service For FREE
Job Location: Laurel, MD
If so, APL is looking for someone like you to join the Software Engineering and Data Transformation Group (KBE) within the Strategic Deterrence Mission Area (SDMA), supporting the Force Projection Sector!
As a Data Strategist, we envision that you will…
- Work closely with other developers, data engineers, database specialists/administrators, end users (engineers and analysts), our sponsors, and other contractors to understand data/analysis needs and help to develop a comprehensive data strategy for the Mission Area.
- Collaborate with staff (internal and external to APL) to explore and implement solutions that will satisfy all dimensions of this data strategy.
- Lead/pioneer efforts to inventory, triage, transform, and standardize existing datasets.
- Ensure that any data of interest and associated metadata is well-formatted and accessible for data scientists and analysts, while also ensuring the pipeline for this data is both dynamic and performant.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a B.S. in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related discipline.
- 10+ years of related professional experience.
- Have demonstrated experience collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team of computer scientists and engineers, and eliciting user needs from a large and diverse pool of stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Have experience handling and utilizing all levels of data structure (structured, semi-structured, quasi-structured, and unstructured) in day-to-day applications.
- Have demonstrated experience guiding an organization through transforming their data to increasing levels of data interoperability.
- Have demonstrated experience with effectively managing and storing large quantities of regularly delivered data (> 10 TB), and handling a large variety of different data types (requirements, architectures, CAD/CAM models, test data & reports, configuration information, logistics, etc.).
- Have experience re-engineering datasets for use in AI/ML applications for the novel detection of emergent or cumulative trends.
- Have experience designing and integrating software with relational databases (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle) including Object Relational Mapping (ORM) systems such as Entity Framework.
- Have experience with data lifecycle management across multiple teams, groups, and/or domains.
- Possess strong problem solving skills and strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Are able to obtain Interim Top Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Final Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Are willing and able to travel within the US (not likely to exceed a few trips per year with no more than five days in duration for each).
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Are familiar with the Data Management Body of Knowledge (DMBOK), Enterprise IT Body of Knowledge (EITBOK), National Information Exchange Model (NEIM) standards, or other industry standards for data management and data formats.
- Have experience designing and integrating software with NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, Neo4J, Couchbase, Aerospike, Cassandra).
- Have familiarity with Digital Engineering tools, such as Cameo Systems Modeler, and standard modeling languages such as UML and/or SysML.
- Have recent professional software experience in a team environment utilizing high order languages such as C#, C++, Python, and Java.
- Have experience in managing data in an industry where high data reliability, availability, and security are of utmost importance (e.g. financial, medical, cybersecurity, etc.).
- Have experience with software project and configuration management tools to perform issue tracking, automated unit testing, continuous integration / DevOps (such as GitLab, TeamCity, Jenkins), and version control tools (e.g., Git).
- Possess knowledge of instrumentation systems, interfaces and data, and/or shipboard systems and flight missile/reentry body telemetry systems.
- Hold a current Secret or Top Secret clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.