Job Location: New York State
When you join New York Life, you’re joining a company that values career development, collaboration, innovation, and inclusiveness. We want employees to feel proud about being part of a company that is committed to doing the right thing. You’ll have the opportunity to grow your career while developing personally and professionally through various resources and programs. New York Life is a relationship-based company and appreciates how both virtual and in-person interactions support our culture.
The Center for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (CDSAi) is the innovative corporate Analytics group within New York Life. We are a rapidly growing entrepreneurial department which aims to design, create, and offer innovative data-driven solutions for many parts of the enterprise. We are aided by New York Life’s existing business with a large market share in individual life insurance. We have the freedom to explore external data sources and new statistical techniques and are excited about delivering a whole new generation of predictive analytics and artificial intelligence solutions.
We work with data ranging from demographics, credit, and geo data to detailed medical data (medical test results, diagnosis, prescriptions) and social media information. We have a modern computing environment with a solid suite of data science/modeling tools and packages, and a large (but manageable) group of well-trained professionals at various levels to support you. Life insurance is on the verge of huge change. This is a chance to drive the transformation of an industry.
The Center for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (CDSAi) is the 60-person innovative corporate Data Science group within New York Life, led by Chief Analytics Officer Glenn Hofmann (https://www.linkedin.com/in/glennhofmann/). We are a rapidly growing entrepreneurial department which designs, creates, and deploys innovative data-driven solutions for many parts of the enterprise. For more opportunities in data science, please visit our website (https://www.newyorklife.com/careers/corporate/data-science)
You will build a team of data and ML engineers to work side by side with experienced data scientists and technology professionals to research, build and deploy production grade models.
You will manage, train and coach a team of Engineers to:
- Work on advanced analytics projects end to end; from data access to model deployment in a highly interactive environment involving several cross-functional teams
- Work side by side with Data Scientists and business partners- through Exploratory Data Analysis, development and documentation of model features and code
- Work side by side with the Chief Data Office (CDO) and Technology Enterprise Data teams to provide specifications for model development datasets and requirements for production deployment data pipelines/APIs and model code
- Work with our platform management team to deploy models to our Domino deployment platform
- Work with Project Managers and Scrum Masters to provide milestones and stories
You will apply your experience to shape a collaborative environment for data scientists and engineers to work together successfully
You will apply your communication skills to partner with platform management, data scientists, product managers, program managers, engineers, and various technology groups to foster strong cross departmental project teams.
- Manage a team of 11 data and ML engineers including two team leads, manage hiring efforts for 5-6 open roles
- Build and manage a strategy for servicing multiple data science projects in varying states of maturity (from early research to model deployment).
- Ensure team is delivering data quickly and efficiently, managing code and documenting final production ready requirements for Technology
- Provide guidance for the architecture of ML development data and create solutions to process a large variety of data sources, all with the purpose of forming a high integrity model ready data source.
- Think strategically; work to connect all aspects of the model development life cycle as it relates to data, from raw variables through to production deployment to model maintenance and revision.
- Oversee the deployment of models into production in close collaboration with technology, data science teams and business partners.
- Monitor and track departmental metrics
- Proactively address and resolve technical issues.
- Function as data/ML expert, contribute to analytics/solutions design and implementation.
- Proactively and effectively communicate in various verbal and written formats with senior staff
- Graduate-level degree in computer science, data science or engineering
- 8-10 years of relevant work experience in the fields of data science, data engineering and computer programming
- 5+years of people management experience, including functional activities of hiring, coaching, promoting, and managing review process
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Excellent command of SQL – best practices, optimization, troubleshooting and debugging
- Proficiency in Python and R
- Experience in applying AI/ML technologies, frameworks, and applications to practical and comprehensive technology solutions
- Experience creating and/or deploying ML/AI models (ML Ops) in production environments.
- Experience with a variety of ML and AI techniques (multivariate/logistic regression models, neural networks, cluster analysis, predictive modeling, deep learning, decision trees, or similar).
- Solid understanding and experience with statistical modeling concepts, design, and analytics-based products
- Experience working in AWS and exposure to AI/ML services Transcribe, Translate, Polly, Rekognition, and Textract etc.,
- Exposure to large scale computing platforms and processes
- Experience working with microservices, API and event driven architectures
- Experience with Linux and have a deep understanding of how and when to apply automation
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Any experience in using ETL tools such as Ab Initio, Talend, Informatica, Airbyte
- Exposure to Geospatial (GIS) platforms
- Any experience working with Data Warehouses and/or Data Marts
- Any experience in Life Insurance Industry
Our technology stack is RStudio Pro, Enterprise Data hub (Hadoop/Redshift), Kubernetes, Domino Data Labs, Arize for model monitoring, Trifacta, R, Python, Spark, PySpark, SparkR, Linux, AWS migration underway
- Manhattan (NoMaD, walking distance from Penn Station and Grand Central Station).
- Relocation is available.
- Onsite 3 days 6 times per year; otherwise, fully remote.
Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and volunteerism, supported by the Foundation. We’re proud that due to our mutuality, we operate in the best interests of our policy owners. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
Job Requisition ID: 88040