Before u proceed below to check the jobs/CVs, please select your favorite job categories, whose top job alerts you want in your email & Subscribe to our Email Job Alert Service For FREE
Job Location: San Francisco, CA
SPAN’s smart panel replaces the traditional electrical panel to become an intelligent center for connected power in the home. It creates unprecedented monitoring, control, automation, and orchestration capabilities at the grid edge – between the grid, the home, and the rapidly growing number of distributed energy resources such as solar and storage systems. With the smart panel, and our new smart EV charger offerings, we aim to enable rapid adoption of renewable energy in homes, and help displace over 40% of the carbon emissions in the US.
We are looking for an intern to join our data engineering team. We help put the ‘smart’ in the SPAN smart panels by making it easy, fast, and cheap to make use of all the data they generate. We do this by building reliable and efficient cloud infrastructure to collect, store, transport, and process data for use by product, data science, R&D, and business analytics.
Your role will include building/extending cloud data infrastructure to serve specific data usecases – such as a new product feature, a new experimental R&D setup, or a dashboard driving strategic decision making. You will work with upstream stakeholders like device firmware and cloud backend teams to understand data sources and constraints; and downstream stakeholders like product and data science teams to understand data requirements. You will have end-to-end ownership (with support from senior engineers on the team) in designing, developing, testing, and productionizing a solution to meet these requirements.
Candidate Intern Projects
- Develop a monitoring and alerting framework for data quality and pipeline health. Work with data science and product teams to define metrics of interest, and acceptable thresholds for them. Develop pipelines to track these metrics, and alerts to catch deviation outside acceptable thresholds.
- Develop a monitoring and reporting framework for panel lifecycle tracking. Ingest panel manufacturing, sales, and installation data. Develop pipelines to compute metrics of interest for various stages of the panel lifecycle. Develop a dashboard and periodic reporting to serve business and leadership teams in understanding this data.
- Help develop a framework to enable the data science team to build pipelines to process and store data needed for delivering power usage insights to the homeowner via the SPAN app. Work with device firmware, data science, and product teams to determine the data model, data sources, and data sink. Contribute to framework design, development, testing, and productionization.
- A strong understanding of Computer Science and Software Engineering fundamentals gained through pursuit of a degree, bootcamp, or other education program.
- Experience using cloud platform like AWS or GCP.
- Experience with Python, SQL.
- Ability to collaborate with coworkers using tools like GitHub or GitLab
- Experience with IoT product development
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code frameworks like Terraform
- Experience with ETL frameworks like Airflow
- Experience with data observability tools like Datadog
Life at SPAN
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges.
Our CEO, Arch Rao—former head of the Tesla Powerwall team—fosters an energetic and collaborative environment, with a strong emphasis on maintaining work-life-balance across the organization.
We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO
Our Mission & Values:
At SPAN, we believe that powering your home with clean energy should be a simple and delightful experience that is at its essence human-centered and technology-forward.
Our core values include:
- Making home energy more accessible, intuitive, and convenient.
- Enabling homes and vehicles to be powered by the sun.
- Building resilient homes with reliable power.
- All-electric everything.
- A more flexible & distributed grid.
Interested in joining our team? Submit an application today and we’ll be in touch with next steps!